Friday, November 19, 2010

"God don't make no junk!"

As I stood at the top of the hill watching Jordan at the bus stop, I couldn't help but tear up. He was so excited to go to school today. He was ready 20 minutes before we usually head down. He stood at the window singing and telling me that he loved his new teacher. That was music to my ears. Let's go back a little bit...

Jordan was born on September 13th. He has always been one of, if not the youngest in his preschool, kindergarten & first grade classes. I've been concerned about his age from the beginning but always listened to his teachers. "Jordan is smart, it's ok that he is young, send him on." "Jordan will get it, it will click, just be patient." "He's silly, but most kids are, he's definitely all boy!"

I listened to all of this but knew in my heart that he wasn't where he was suppose to be. I ignored the feeling, I ignored what I knew was the truth. Why? I have no idea... I just wanted to dig my heals deep & push through.

Jordan started first grade in August. I liked his teacher & never heard from her for the first quarter of school concerning his learning & behavior. I assumed we were all good! I will NEVER do that again! I volunteered, sent food, sent supplies, emailed back & fourth and everything seemed great. Until, the report card came a couple of weeks ago.....

Jordan had been struggling with everything. She said it was all based on his behavior. He was silly. He was acting out & always trying to make his friends laugh. I was pissed! Not because of what he was doing but because I hadn't heard one word from the teacher. How could this be? Why wouldn't you keep me in the loop? We talk on a regular basis. I help out with whatever you need. Blah! 

The ball was dropped & at this point there was nothing I could do. I knew that it was time to listen to MY HEART. I called the teacher immediately & set up a conference with her & the principal. 
Days passed & I couldn't stop thinking about it. I knew what had to be done. I was in such a bad mood. Demond kept asking me what was wrong. I wasn't pleasant. I was stressed & felt like I had failed my child. 

We had the meeting and I of course decided that Jordan needed to go back to Kindergarten. I cried, his first grade teacher cried and apologized for not keeping in touch about the things that were important. I chose the new teacher I wanted for him & knew in my heart that I finally was making the right decision. It wasn't easy & I was dreading telling Jordan. 

We told Jordan when we got home & he cried but we assured him that this was the best thing for him & that it was going to help him in years to come. This was last Thursday. He started in his new class on Monday. 

He loves it! He has already made new friends & the teacher has written notes home expressing what good days he has had & that this is exactly where he needs to be. I met with his new teacher yesterday and she was EVERYTHING I hoped she would be & more! What a huge stress that was immediately lifted from my body. Thank you Lord! She hugged me & told me that Jordan was blessed to have me as his mom. Something I really needed to hear at that moment.

Back to this morning.... While Jordan was singing at the window, I told him how special he was and how proud I am of him. He turned around, with all of his spunk & attitude and said, "Of course I'm special!" I just smiled and said, "Oh, really?" He said, "Yeah Mom, I'm special because God don't make no junk!" "Is it time to go to the bus stop yet?" "Yes, Jordan..... lets go." =)



5 comments:

  1. This blog post made me cry. You are a fantastic mom. Sounds like making that hard decision turned out to be the right decision for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great mom! A true inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh Jess... I am sure this was not an easy decision to make. Holding them back early is definitely the way to go. I am hoping he continues to have much success for the remainder of the school year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I've read the blog and I just started crying! Jess you are an AMAZING mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, you made me cry too! You rock & no wonder your kids do too with such amazing parents <3 :)

    ReplyDelete