Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I stood up to racism, I hope you do the same.

55 years ago today the wonderful Rosa Parks decided she wasn't getting out of her seat on that bus. 

Just writing that sends chills through my bones. 

What a strong, independent, iconic woman! Thank you for breaking down the barriers, Miss Rosa Parks! Times have changed & I'm so glad I'm alive to see the change.

Unfortunately everyone hasn't changed and there are still some very ignorant people out there! And I'm being nice saying that. It's definitely not what I want to say or the choice of words I could use. This subject weighs extremely heavy on my heart, if you didn't know I'm sure you will by the end of this blog.

Last night was going well.... the restaurant wasn't very busy but I had almost a full bar. I'll take that any Tuesday night actually any night at all! I noticed three gentlemen waiting to get a seat. I called them gentlemen but come to find out they were the furthest thing from that.

I had a couple seats open and politely asked one of my regulars to scoot down so they could have three seats next to each other. He obliged. 

Alex, Brad and Bryan sat down & immediately began talking to me. I was my friendly, inviting self and got them menus and drinks. I was glad they decided to sit with me. 

Each of them had on business attire. They actually looked like something out of a polo magazine. They talked about working in Northern Virginia. They spoke like they had an education. Alex actually mentioned how he played football & won some conference championship. Showing me his ring.


When I'm working I'm always aware of everything going on around me. If I'm at one end of the bar talking with guests, I can assure you I can tell you what's going on at the other end. I guess that comes with experience... I don't know but in this case I wish I didn't hear a word.


I began to listen to their conversation while wiping down the other end of the bar. They were talking about how someone had come onto their property, referring to that person as the 'N' word. Alex said he has 345 acres and someone had stepped over on his land when they were hunting. He was angry and throwing around that terrible, degrading, disrespectful word like it was his job. This went on for at least 4 or 5 minutes. N this N that... N this N that....


I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was so upset. I know my face was red. I felt like I was going to pass out. You don't use that word!! I wanted to stomp down there and tell them exactly how I felt. I should have, I wanted to but I didn't. I didn't say a word. For now.... 


I couldn't concentrate on anything I was doing. People were asking me questions and I saw there mouth move but couldn't hear anything. I was in another world. This consumed me. I had to get it together for my other guests... I did.


Their food came out and I walked by.... I didn't say a word. Alex stopped me in the middle of eating & and asked if I was from around here. I told him I wasn't. I said that I met my husband in college and this is where he is from. He then proceeded to tell me that he was born and raised here & graduated from the same High School as Demond. He told me what year he graduated and I thought this was my perfect in..... I replied with... "Oh, you must know my brother-in-law." I said his name... He thought about it and without any hesitation he said... "He's black." I glared at him in complete and utter disgust. "Of course he is!" I said. "And so is my husband and my 3 beautiful children!" 


He looked at me in shock. Why? I have no idea. I then told him how I felt. I told him exactly what I wanted him to hear... in the most professional, respectful way possible... (even though I wanted to jump across the bar and spit in his face, sorry but at this point I was in tears.)

"I heard your entire conversation 10 minutes ago. I am highly offended! I cannot believe that word came out of your mouth so many times and so easily. How dare you! This is a huge problem... you better be glad I'm working right now and I'm as professional as I am! You are not welcome here anymore!"

He sat there like he had just seen a ghost. I was trembling and shaking. I walked away & gathered myself. I made sure they had perfect service the rest of the evening.  I didn't say a word to them. My body language said enough.

They left. Tipped me $10 on $90. I didn't want their money! I wanted them out!!!!

This is not the first time I have experienced something like this and probably won't be the last. It saddens me how people can still be so ignorant. 

I will continue to grow as a person. I will continue to raise my children right. And most importantly I will continue to stand up for what I believe in and that is everyone should be created equal, EVERYONE! 

So I leave you with this...

"Racism is still with us. But it is up to us to prepare our children for what they have to meet, and, hopefully, we shall overcome." -Rosa Parks 







6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you had to endure this degrading behavior. I am also sorry that generations of a people with a certain genetic code for darker skin color had to endure such hatred. That word, in my book, is the worst word imaginable - other than taking God's name in vain. So sorry dear but it sounds like you handled the situation with much integrity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen girl! Well said. I have been there so many times myself...it's all a learning process on how to handle it. You did great! I would have probably been fired. :) BTW, I love your blog. It's adorable. -Ashley Bailey Hughes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh geez Jessica...you know they say "Speak your mind even if your voice trembles". WAY TO GO!! I think you definitely handled it professionally.

    Not only are they ignorant jerks but they do not know how to leave an appropriate tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Jessica...The first time I met you was in kindergarten,at least that's the first time I truly noticed you. I saw a freckle faced, curly headed beauty! But more than that I saw a child with such strength of character! and I'm happy to say that you've continued into adulthood with that same strength. What can we say about racism Jess? I actually feel sorry for people that are racist. They'll never know what we know...that we can have these beautiful children in our lives and it's us that gets the reward! They teach us to see the world through their eyes and what an amazing gift to recieve! They teach us that love is color blind....it's the rest of the world that isn't! I feel sorry for those young men and their ignorance...look at what they're missing. I'm very, very proud of who you are and for speaking up. I just hope and pray that more people will do the same and not just sit back and be afraid of confrontation. The only race that we're a part of is the HUMAN RACE! You're mom must be very proud of you. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for your kind words.

    Ashley, I know you know what I go through. It's crazy that people are still out there like that. Just wait until you have kids....

    Jan, Wow I never thought that something like this would 'bring us together.' I'm so glad you wrote to me. You brought tears to my eyes. When you said "They'll never know what we know." I about wepted to my knees. That is so true. We are the human race and need to start acting like it. I look up to you so much for adopting those two beautiful boys. How lucky they are to have you as their mother. Wow! It just gives me chills. Love is color blind and always will be in our house. I just hope I'm alive to see the change in the world. I hope you're doing well, I'm sure you are. Thanks again for commenting... otherwise I would have never known you were here. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There may be more of us watching than you know Jess...I've been here listening and watching your life with interest. I remember stopping by and seeing your first son and have shared in the joy when Rachel's told me about your growing family. You have a lot to offer the world Jessica. Do you even know your own strengths? I may have been able to offer the boys stability and love, but look what they've given me. Robert's doing well...he's even in the gifted program. Michael is 15 next month and continues to be a work in progress. He was in seven homes in four years before the age of nine. He has a lot to overcome!I'm a truly blessed person and have a lot to be thankful for. Have a wonderful Christmas Jess and my best to your family. Jan

    ReplyDelete