Thursday, March 31, 2011

thirsty thursday randomness.

Dycen just went down for his morning nap and there is so much I need to do but I'm calling a personal time-out and taking a few moments... The dishes will have to wait. The kids half eaten bowls of cereal will remain on the table and slowly continue to dry. The crumbs from Dycen's breakfast bar that somehow always end up on the walls and floor will wait too. Mr. laundry machine who keeps beeping at me will wait. Get in line... I tell 'em, get in line!  Everything will wait. I want to write. 

The past few days seem to have all grown together. I have been in and out of the house doing last minute things for this party. As exhausting as it is... deep down I really love it. I actually love it enough that if I could be a 'professional birthday party planner,' when I grow up :) I totally would. It's fun to dream of something and know exactly what you want and slowly you start to see it coming alive. I have had a few moments where I'm like "What in the hell am I doing? Why am I doing all this?"  but then, very quickly  I think about all the smiling faces on all the little kids that I love so much. That's enough for me... 

I have to go to Costco today to get all of the food & drinks. Tonight I am going to the church to organize all the games and have a mental picture of everything. This will go there... That will go there... etc. After tonight... everything should be in place. I'm getting excited! I can't believe my baby is going to be one! What a crazy, hectic, fun, loving year this has been. 
This week, work has been extra great! I am so lucky to have such wonderful guests. I look forward to going to work & honestly I can't remember the last job I had that I could say that. My customers become my friends. My friends become part of my life. No matter what kind of day I am having, I always know that work will be full of laughing, joking & smiling. I need that. It makes me a better person. 

I sometimes wonder if my guests realize how much of an impact they make on my life. I carry their stories, their advice and their wisdom with me everyday. Don't get me wrong, not everyone is someone I respect and cherish but there are so many people who I have come to know that I adore that all the weird ones are well, just weirdos, I mean come on... it comes with the territory, right? 

So I leave you with this... 

A couple of weeks ago, an older couple came in and had dinner.  When I say older I mean, 60-75 years old. The gentleman ordered a pina coloda with vanilla icecream and his wife ordered black coffee.  I immediately was drawn to them and loved how 'in love' they were. They ordered dinner and sat back and enjoyed their drinks. I said something silly and they laughed and laughed. That was the beginning of our friendship. I found out that night that they had been married for 48 years. I asked them what the secret was and Teal (husband) responded  with... "for a marriage to work, both partners need to put the happiness of the other before their own. That's real love- the kind that lasts."  

Teal and Jean come in every Tuesday and Wednesday to see me now. I have learned so much from them in the past 3 weeks.  I want to be just like them when I grow up and pray that my marriage is as strong as theirs. 

Cheers!

Now all of that 'stuff' that I am making wait is really calling my name now. I'm off... 

love y'all

oxox, jess


 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jess: I can relate to all that you write and I know how awesome you are because we used to work together and have kept in touch. Being a mom is a great experience with all of it's twists and turns, it completes me, brings me all the joy I need and all the happiness I could ask for. I just hope that I am half the loving mom my mom was. I applaud us for wanting to have families because you don't see this as much anymore. It's great! I can't wait to have brunch. And keep your blog up!
    Love Kels!

    ReplyDelete